The American Institute of Floral Designers Foundation, Inc. was established in 1979 as an independent, non-profit, 501c3 organization, that is an umbrella organization for numerous endowed and established funds, with a Board of Trustees to govern. The endowed funds provide scholarships to floral design students and aspiring floral designers. Education that impacts the future success of floral design is supported through grants from the AIFD Foundation. Funds established within the AIFD Foundation may honor those who have contributed to the floral industry, be a collective gathering from a state or region, or established to address a specific need within the industry. For an established fund to be endowed, the amount of the fund must reach a threshold of giving within five years from the time the fund is established. Once the threshold is reached and the fund is endowed, the interest and dividends are awarded, according to the purpose of the fund. The corpus, which is made up of the total donations, remains in perpetuity, ensuring that those honored will forever be remembered.
AIFD members joined together to achieve these accomplishments in 2020.
- Over $30,000 was awarded in Scholarships in 2020 with funding generated from the endowed funds of the AIFD Foundation and designated funding from industry and individuals.
- The endowment of the Joe Smith AIFD Endowed Fund was announced in Nashville when friends gathered to celebrate the dedication of the Joe Smith AIFD Floral Design Gallery during the Nashville Lawn and Garden Show. The endowment was made possible through the generosity of the “Friends of Joe” and a most generous donation from the Nashville Lawn and Garden Foundation.
- Family and friends established the Jim Rauch AIFD Fund. Jim Rauch AIFD was a dedicated AIFD member, serving AIFD on the National Membership Committee and as a valued leader in the North Central Chapter, representing the Chapter on the AIFD National Board and the AIFD Foundation Board of Trustees.
- The loss of former AIFD Foundation Chapter Representative and AIFD President-elect David Shover AIFD was deeply felt. He will long be remembered as one who led by example through years of involvement. A talented designer, encouraging mentor, patient educator and courageous soul, he was committed to AIFD until the end. A leader to many and friend to all, David Shover AIFD will forever be remembered through the establishment of the David Shover AIFD Fund.
- The AIFD Foundation continues to receive donations to endow the established funds honoring Phil Rulloda AIFD, Richard Seaboldt AIFD, Frankie Shelton AIFD and Matt Wood AIFD.
- In 2019 the AIFD Foundation established S.H.I.N.E. to provide opportunities to learn from the absolute best in the floral industry in specific fields of study. Scholarships Help Inspire Nurturing Education provided continuing education through a mentorship in three specialized fields of industry concentration.
These opportunities were offered to help you expand your career and S.H.I.N.E.
- Product Development with Charlie Groppetti AIFD and Todd Smith at Todd & Charlie Co., Historic Park Hill, North Little Rock, Arkansas and their farm in Vilonia, Arkansas
- High-end Retail and Event Planning with Chris Norwood AIFD at Tipton & Hurst in Little Rock, Arkansas.
- Showroom Design and Display with the Winward Visual Merchandising Team during showroom setup at one of three Winward showrooms in Fremont, California, Atlanta, Georgia or Dallas, Texas the AIFD Foundation has added a fourth option in 2020.
- “The Life of a Flower from the Earth to the Market” — Study Mass Marketing with Paul Miller AIFD and Sunshine Bouquet Company from Miami, the recipient will travel to Bogotá Colombia to visit laboratories, farms and green houses to study plant growth, post harvest production, processing and packing. The recipient will design a project hands-on, while acquiring a knowledge of Sunshine Bouquet’s commitment to social responsibility, conservation and the environment. Upon returning to Miami, the recipient will experience production stateside and the shipment process throughout North America while visiting stores where the bouquets are sold.
- With the expanded opportunities now offered by the AIFD Foundation, the Board of Trustees is pleased to recognize these industry leaders as AIFD Foundation Ambassadors. Each believes in the importance of floral design education. Each will increase awareness of all that the AIFD Foundation now offers bringing forward unlimited possibilities.
Brenda Blackburn AIFD
Tom Bowling AIFD
Frank Feysa AIFD
Marisa Guerrero AIFD
Jackie Lacey AIFD
Joyce Mason-Monheim AIFD
Jacob Mc Call AIFD
Sharon McGukin AIFD
Kim Oldis AIFD
Beth O’Reilly AIFD
Ken Senter AIFD
Jenny Thomasson AIFD
AIFD Foundation Mission Statement
“To provide financial support for educational purposes, scholarships, projects and programs that facilitate the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in the field of floral design and related fields.”